Monday, October 16, 2017

Landlord FAQs

Below, we've compiled a list of FAQs regarding the Housing Choice Voucher Program and concerns that landlords may want to have addressed. Simply click on any question below to display the answer. If you have questions and the answer doesn't appear here, feel free to call or email us.

Download our Landlord Orientation packet

When will I receive my housing assistance payment?

There are two check runs, the first of the month and mid month. The mid month check run captures all of the tenants who moved in or had a rent adjustment after the first of the month check run. After that all payments for the tenant will be paid on the first of the month check run.

Does the Housing Authority pay the security deposit?

No. All tenants are responsible for their security deposit.

How much can I charge for rent?

We will only approve amounts that are rent reasonable based on other comparable unassisted units and amenities in the area. All rents have to be approved by the Housing Authority.

If the rent amount is not approved, can the tenant pay the difference?

No. Only the amount of rent approved by the Housing Authority can be charged. You may not charge or accept, from the family or from any other source, any additional payment for rent.

Can I rent to family members who are on Section 8?

No. You cannot rent to your parents, children, grandparents, grandchildren, sister, or brother of any member of the family unless approved by the Housing Authority in order to provide reasonable accommodations for a family member who is a person with disabilities.

Can I increase the amount of rent during the contract?

You may only request a rent increase within sixty days prior to the tenantís annual recertification date and the amount has to be approved by the Housing Authority. For example, if their recertification date is May 1, you should request a rent increase no later than March 1.

Can I evict the tenant or does it have to be done by the Housing Authority?

You may evict a tenant for cause as stated in your HAP Contract and only by a court action. A copy of any eviction notice should be sent to the Housing Authority.